Wednesday, May 8, 2013

8. ma bes advice

Settle down, little ones.
It's time for
Uncle TK's once-in-a-lifetime
Advice-thingy Kiosk.

What advice do you need ?
Hah.
Asking the audience for a reply ?
Fat chance.
I don't really have much advice.
Well.
Maybe it's because no on ever asked for my advice before.
Advice that ISN'T work-related.

Hmmm...
Let's see if I can think of anything.

*Goes raiding the refrigerator while listening to Glee's cover of Hall of Fame*

After much dillydallying,
I have decided to not give any advice.
NOT because I'm lazy,
but I just don't know what advice to give.
Besides,
what kind of a person would I be if I gave you an advice
that even I don't follow.
I know I'm a hypocrite.
Everyone is.
So I'll stay shut.

But there is a quote I'd like to share.
AGAIN.
Wow, I can't get over that.
This one is from one of the China Education documentaries
that I found on Youtube.
The documentary revolved around the lives of 5 students
at one of China's top high schools.
Needless to say, competition to get into uni is insane.
All 5 students wanted to get into either one of 2 top universities in China.
One boy took an earlier Maths Olympiad and scored high enough
to study Maths at one of the universities.
He could skip the University Entrance Exam.
He made it !
Another boy scored higher than he had anticipated
but still couldn't get into the top uni.
He went on to study business at a 'highly-respected college'.
He didn't make it.
One girl went on to study Tax Law at a People's Uni.
She didn't make it.
Another girl scored lower than she thought and will be doing
Financial Management at a second-tier school.
She didn't make it.
Finally, class monitor (female) is the only one who scored well enough
in her university entrance exam to get into the top uni.
She will be studying Journalism at Beihang University.
SHE MADE IT !

And because she made it,
the producers decided to do a little scene with her.
Where the camera slowly revolves around her in slow motion,
while she stares upwards at the city lights all around her.
Just standing there.
Staring.
While people around her are just walking and passing by.
And this is what she had to say,
(In Chinese of course. But they lowered her voice and placed English dubs)

"When I was studying so hard,
I felt the most important thing was freedom.
You can't demand freedom from the society, your school or even your own family.
You must rely on yourself to find your freedom.
If you can set your own heart free,
then nothing can stop you."

I think that can double as a quote AND good advice,
don't you think ?
I think it's pretty good.
I mean after watching an hour-long documentary
of kids studying their heads off,
it really makes you wonder where their motivations come from.
Quite inspirating.
I know I know,
it's calling inspiring.
But I like inspirating better !

*Runs off to the kitchen*

Listening to Na Na Na - My Chemical Romance

Still stormed in,
TK

0 comments:

Post a Comment