Wednesday, April 24, 2013

power.of.words

For all you non-Aussies,
tomorrow is Thursday.
But more importantly,

it's ANZAC Day.
What's ANZAC Day ?
Let's see....

ANZAC stands for
Australian and New Zealand Army Corps.
Yes, a day for the soldiers.
But not so much about the ones that are risking their lives in Afghanistan,
and more about the ones that are already.....
The ones who...during the Gallipoli campaign,
to be more specific.
What's the Gallipoli Campaign ?
Let's see...

It was 'Australia's First Test'.
Or in other words,
it was our first war since our independence.
It occured around early 1910.
And we failed....epically.

We sent around 15 thousand soldiers to Turkey.
1 Word : Manslaughter.
The ANZACs reaches the port at the foot of a hill.
The Turkish soldiers were waiting on top of the hill.
It was like playing an easy level of Angry Birds.
And just like the game.
The Turkish had infinite retrys.
As long as they kept us at bay.
So 'we' fought on for 8 months.
Before using some sneakish tactics to escape.

So....we failed our first test.
Not to mention the ANZACs were all volunteers.
I quote :
"Poor boys died for nothing."
So why are we celebrating ANZAC Day based on a failed mission ?

Beats me.
But it was something about fighting for what we believe in.
And also for honouring all those who ....
All I know is.
This is practically more important than Australia Day.
For true blue Aussies,
ANZAC Day is about bowing your head and respecting the fallen
while Australia Day is about watching free fireworks at the park and getting drunk.
Yep, that sounds about right.
I've already saw the drunkards.
So it's time for me to see the head-bowing Australians.

Every school has a special ANZAC assembly too.
Mine had one too.
Oh that awkward moment when you don't know how to sing your national anthem.
Can I still call myself a PR ?
Ok, well I did find some China students staring at me.
I reckon they thought I knew how to sing it.
Truth is, I've never even heard it before.
Unlike in Malaysia,
where they broadcast is every morning before school begins for your torturous pleasure.
Some students in my Math class claimed not having heard (or sang) the Australian National Anthem for about 6 years.
I did Youtube it once.
But the lyrics and sound effect on my phone were too misguiding for me to take it seriously.
And so.
Awkard moments will be awkward.

Back to the topic.
Power of Word.
'Dat Grammar.
Learned it from Persona.
Soooo....yeah.
Since most of my readers (and stalkers) ,who actually
read what I type and are not in this for blog-walking and self-promoting,
are from Malaysia,
I might as well ask this question.

"Have you ever been glad you can speak 3 (or even 4) languages ?"

Chinese (and it's endless dialects), English, Malay and sometimes even Hindu ?
I myself feel quite happy that I was forced into learning 3 different languages.
I mean think about it.
You're Chinese (well...most of you) so it's only normal for you to be able to speak Chinese too.
Different dialects for brownie points.
Then, you can speak English.
Which is considered a global language.
With English, you can communicate (hopefully) with people from all around the world.
Not bad, English AND Chinese.
But that's not all.
You know Malay !
'Cuz you're from Malaysia !
And I consider Malay as one of those
'I'll-never-learn-it-if-I-had-a-choice' language, no offence.
I mean how many people who AREN'T from Malaysia,
actually got interested in learning Malay.
Very few I suppose.
I mean, the amount is still considerable.
But other languages such as Japanese and Korean would probably,
and have probably already dwarfed it.
Once again, no offence.

So let's sum it up !
I know English, Chinese AND Malay.
And I know you'll never learn Malay in your whole life.
So that's a bonus for me.
I can talk bad things in your face,
and you'd just be staring blankly at me.
Ahh yes...
The power of words.
Or rather, languages.
Look, quantity over quality, ok ?

On a totally UNRELATED note,
heard about the Boston bombing ?
3 people...errr.... you get the idea.
One of them, in case you haven't heard,
is a Chinese uni student.
Her identity was the last to be revealed among the 3.
Because relatives demanded her information be kept confidential.
But of course,
in the end,
it still got out.
Why I decided to bring her up was because of a very tiny detail.
She was going to watch a marathon with her friend.
Death seemed so far away.
In her everyday carefree manner,
she got up, had breakfast, and went out.
The extremely ironic part is,
she took a picture of her breakfast,
and Instagram-ed it.
Nothing fancy.
I don't remember what she had,
but it didn't sound too appetising.
So she uploaded her picture
with a tiny quote.
"My Wonderful Breakfast"...
And then she....err....

This kinda reminded me how the unexpected always catches us off guard.
Oh great.
I'm starting to sound like one of those testimonials from Our Daily Bread...
What I'm trying to say is...
YOU ARE NEVER SAFE WHEREVER YOU GO.
YOU CAN RUN BUT YOU CAN'T AVOID A POTENTIAL BOMB RESTING PEACEFULLY INSIDE A PRESSURE COOKER RIGHT NEXT TO YOU WHEREVER YOU ARE.
AND THE EXPLOSION WILL FOREVER LEAVE YOU LOOKING LIKE ANIKIN SKYWALKER WHEN HE LOST THE FIGHT AGAINST OBI WAN AT THAT REALLY HOT AND BIZARRE VOLCANO PLANET AFTER STRANGLING HIS WIFE TO THE POINT OF CHILDBIRTH....AND DEATH...

Happy ANZAC Day =D

Listening to GO WAY GO WAY - FoZZtone

Digitally Empty,
TK

0 comments:

Post a Comment