Wednesday, February 20, 2013

So.i.Keep.on

And so begins my third week of high school.
The school is becoming a smaller place.
I know (a little) more people now.
Earphones were kept in my pocket for the whole day.
Unless I'm doing Maths of course.

Now I have a little story to share :
It was about my very first Physics experiment last Friday.
Which was an epic fail.
Notice how I placed the word 'epic' in front of the word 'fail'.
That's how bad it was.
Long gone were the days where we spent our hours in class.
Playing limbo and slipping ice cubes into each other's clothes.
Now, everyone is SERIOUS )(**&T*&
And it just so happens I don't have a lab partner.
Luckily, the guy sitting nearest to me (not next to me)
asked me whether I wanted to pair up with him.
So Yes, yes I would like to pair up with him.

Neither did I know, he was an adult.
An adult who wished to reconnect with education.
An adult who hasn't been to university in 8 years.
An adult who claimed he could not remember anything.
Even though he did a Engineering/Physics course.
An adult who was just standing there,
not offering much help.
I can't really blame him though.
He didn't know HOW to help.
I don't want to put the blame on him,
but somehow, I felt that he contributed to my future humiliation.

There I was, still trying to gather multiple readings for my experiment.
Everyone was already finished with their experiments.
All of them, with satisfactory looks in their faces,
glanced at me and my lab partner as we were still struggling.
And we were in front.
I was wearing a T-shirt with my $10 Sweater Cardigan and Jeans.
But somehow, I felt naked.
Their stares all so deep. I was really curious about what they were thinking of us.
"Oh look. Mr Emo Asian there don't look so tough anymore..."
was all I could think of.
I don't think they'd stereotype me like that.
But who knows, it's not like it's uncommon for racism to happen.
Some people are just built in with it.

Our teacher had to tell us to continue later on
As we were the last group who hasn't finished yet.
And we had a little test to do before we went out for lunch.
Speaking of lunch. No, don't speak of lunch.
Because I didn't have any.
I had to stay back...willingly of course.
There I was, in the empty air-conditioned lecture hall.
Trying to make something of those apparatus.
Those lifeless apparatus that caused me so much humiliation.
My lab partner was confronting the teacher and telling him his life story.
About not having been to uni in 8 years.
About being a so-called 'idiot'.
Apparently, he did a "Physics/Engineering" Course in Uni for 2 years.
So, he's NOT an idiot.
In my (foolish and naive) opinion,
just the thought of having been to and experience uni
gives me enough motivation to keep trying and studying for good grades.
I mean, I DID get into uni last time.
That means the achievement was within my context/skills.
That's how I see things...in a really weird way.
Well, it's the most logical way to me.

In the end, our teacher told us to just "fudge" the answers.
It meant that my workload just got slightly lighter.
After all, what could be easier than making up your own answers, right ?
Oh wait, I had to make up his answers too.
But I did it anyway.
Because he needed all the support he could get.
After that, I rushed off to English class with an empty stomach.
The End.

We had to write an English essay as our weekend homework.
It was a letter to the editor of a newspaper.
Our teacher emphasised the importance of making our writing engaging
for the readers.
So....they would continue reading.
Use a catchy intro.
Conclude with a thought-provoking sentence.
Annoy the **** out of the readers with a never-ending array of metaphors.
Oh and make up your own facts and statistics.
LOL.

Trying to think of something good to write was hard.
I actually had to sit at the outdoors
as I slowly devoured my frozen sandwich.
It was on discount in the snacks and beverage machine.
The school obviously wanted to get rid of their leftovers.
I tried to find inspiration in being at peace.
After all, Physics made my heart beat so fast.
I'm not even sure whether it's a good thing or not anymore.

I felt the essay was extremely convoluted.
I'm terrible at writing essays after all.
After much "soul-searching", talking to random "old" women, Googling aimlessly in the library.
I finally stopped my everlasting procrastination and started typing away.
I wasn't serious. Lol.
I did it at the computer at the State Library.
Those that only give you 1 hour max before they force you to shut down.
I thought I'd just play around.
I'll never finish an essay in 60 minutes anyway.
But as I was slowly overcome by boredom, my typing speed accelerated.
And I just wrote typed and typed until my time was up.
Save it to my Email (yes, it's quite useful too !).
And procrastinated further until I finished it on Sunday night.
I got a B+ !
I'm quite pleased with myself.
Now if only I had that much time during the exams....

It's already Wednesday.
Wednesday night.
Might as well call it Thursday.
My third week is almost coming to an end.
My first month in school is almost coming to an end.
Classes here feel shorter, even though one period is 105 minutes long.
Maybe it's because everything is still easy.
I might be taking it slow and relaxing, unconsciously.
Or perhaps it's the comfy chairs I sit on in the Chemistry lab with back support.
It made the time more bearable for me.
Or perhaps......

Listening to Skins Opening Themes - Fat Segal
Alive and Active,
TK

0 comments:

Post a Comment