Friday, July 4, 2014

soils

What a weird title for this post.
Soils !
That brown-blackish thing that's all around you.
The thing that plants grow on.
The thing that worms live in.
Soils…
The meaning of that title,
so deep.
You can barely understand it.
So what do I mean when I said "soils" ?
What I mean is simply, soils !
I love soils.
#MyStrangeAddiction

And you can blame it all on Uni.
THEY DID THIS TO ME.
But really,
this is the result of having a student go through a combination of
Biology, Earth Science, Communication and Japanese units
in his first semester of Uni.
And I HIGHLY doubt there'd be anyone else
who took those exact 4 combinations of units.
Ironically,
the Communication unit
(SCIE1103: Science, Society and Communication)
was the most influential of 'em all !

But I suppose the lot of you would not be able the understand.
The true beauty and power that is soils !
Here's a picture to help process all this.
























A recent trip to my local planetarium
(WHICH WAS AWESOME)
has really got me thinking though…

Soils on Earth is fertile. 
But not on other planets.
The fertility of soils is almost one-of-a-kind on Earth.
Soils are also responsible for growing plants,
the primary producers.
Wouldn't it make sense to think that,
soils were sort of like a platform for the evolution of complex life ?
Life expanded from the ocean, onto land.
Animals relied on plants,
and plants relied on the soils they're on.

Can you comprehend the miraculous prowess of soils NOW !?
If not, refresh this tab and
start reading this all over again.

Have I told you about my sick obsession with soils ?
They made me wanna switch majors to Agriculture !
That's how loopy I am for them.
And when I look at it,
Agriculture might not be so bad after all.
I mean,
I might even enjoy it more than Environmental Science.
No surprise really.
Since I picked Environmental Science on a whim.
And also because the cover guy/girl for the major looked happy.
Unfortunately,
the cover guy/girl for the major this year is not-so-good-looking.
The background was awful as well…
On the other hand,
the cover guy/girl for Agriculture looked happy this year.
Yup !
Now you know how my mind works,
and how to decide on my Uni degrees.
I know, I know.
My priorities are messed up !
(All them Asians doing Commerce degrees though….)
#AsianIntuition

So far,
I think soils are quite impressive,
though most of the work I've done revolved around soil nutrients.
Which reminds me,
I might also have a sick obsession for Phosphorus as well.
But let's not go there.
Perhaps it's one of those moments,
where you find something insanely fascinating.
But as soon as you really get into the nitty-gritty stuff,
things aren't so "fascinating" anymore…
Like climate change !
I bet everyone is interested in that.
Well,
I dare you to enrol in EART1105: Dynamic Planet.
And then, tell me what you think about climate change.
In fact,
just knowing that I'll be taking a unit called "The Climate System"
in my second year makes me shiver.
I fell like fleeing from my lectures and just bury myself….
….IN SOILS !
Because I love them so.

Other than that,
I guess I should give my tutors for this semester
a little shout out !
I've had great people teach me this semester.
The scary my-tutor-is-evil/crap stories I keep hearing from others
definitely helped with making me more grateful.
I salute them !
I also stalk them on the Internet.
Lastly, I wish them Good Luck with their phD projects.
Now I just hope I get some decent tutors for next semester !

Also, my ego got mega-inflated,
thanks to me (and my group) being published in a
student-only online journal.
You can check it out here.
Ahhh yes,
life is sweet when you're in your first semester of Uni
and already have a scientific paper published…


P.S. I should really upload some photos, shouldn't I ?


Listening to Little Sines - Rhian Sheehan



Busy during holidays,
TK

0 comments:

Post a Comment