Wednesday, July 30, 2014

rev. it up

Has anyone ever heard of Rev. ?
It's a TV show about a rev.
And in case you don't know what a rev is,
perhaps you'll know what a reverend is.
Rev is similar to reverend in that they are the exact same thing.
What makes the two different is that "rev" is spelt with only 3 alphabets.










As you can guess,
the show has religious implications.
The story focuses on a man called Adam.
And why don't you have a guess about what his occupation is?
If your answer was "He's a reverend.",
well done! WRONG !
He's a vicar.













I won't spoil much,
but I will
I definitely recommend it!
I remember seeing DVDs of it on shelves when I was browsing through the ABC shop.
The simple concept of having a reverend as the main character
was (supposedly) more than enough to draw me towards it.
I saw it some time last year but was not foolish enough to purchase it.
Instead, I got it from the library.
#SmartShoppersShopSmart

With only 3 seasons (or series, not sure what to call it),
each episode has a (more or less) stand-alone story.
So you can pretty much start wherever you want.
The main theme of the show is to project
the struggles of being a reverend/priest/vicar.
Even more so in this 21st century,
where religion is sort of a dying race.
Episodes focus on contemporary church issues such as
(but not limited to)
church finance, parish size, muslim community, same-sex marriage etc.
For me,
it's interesting to see how these episodes/mini-plots play out,
because I never really get a chance to see these things happen in real life.
And even if I do,
I'm probably not shown the whole picture.

So I admit.
It's bloody fascinating to see things through the vicar's eyes.
Oh, and I think Adam's a good man.
He may swear and drink and smoke,
but he's good on the inside....
which is what made Season/Series 3 soooooooo good.
Overall,
I think the show's pretty accurate about the modern challenges that the church faces.
If I'm not mistaken,
even local vicars in England watch the show and agree.


So why don't you give this a go as well !?


Listening to Next Chance To Move On - Shihoko Hirata

Back to uni,
TK

0 comments:

Post a Comment