Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Reading Weeks.

It's been a week now since I've landed on home soil.
(Well done if you've noticed my use of the word 'soil')
I am home. Back in the Land Below The Wind.
I don't know who gave Sabah that name, but I'm glad they did.
(Okay, I Googled. It was named by Agnes Newton Keith.)
Makes it sound hella cool, don't you think?
But let's be real, no matter how much "wind" we have here,
it's still not enough to stop me from hiding under a roof,
face glued to my Mac.
Only problem is, WiFi and Internet really aren't the best things we have.
Even more so for my house, we've been living off the cheapest package.
I wait minutes to watch a short Youtube clip at 144p.
Imagine the horror!

The Particle at the End of the Universe.
A book I borrowed from a Perth library,
and smuggled into Malaysia to read.
My interest in particle physics started with Year 12 Physics,
reignited after watching the film Interstellar late last year.

Fret not! I came prepared this time. With books!
Those who know me well (a.k.a been into my room) are aware of my (expensive) habits of buying books,
and never reading them.
Books are just such great things.
And I really do admire people who read.
Such admiration, yet the lack of any true desire to (actually) read, is what created this...dilemma.
Fortunately, I am now fully aware of this monster lurking deep within me.
I proudly resist the urge to buy just about any book I see.
(Yes, I judge a book by its cover. And then I buy it. Screw the summary on the back cover!)

So there's me. And my shelf of unread books.
Books that I'll probably never open.
I do occasionally pick them up though, just to show people that I'll never read them.
I've always wondered, how do people get into reading?
Why do they read, instead of watch TV?
I wish I could conclude this post with a miraculous answer I found, but I haven't.
I might have found the path to my destination, but I'm still nowhere near it yet.
A few years back, right after my WACE conundrum, I ordered a book online.
Just to feel something, y'know?
Months and months of studying for something can leave you a bit...dead.
And for the first time in (a long time) my life, I actually fell in love with a book.
It was such a page-turner.
The plot/theme definitely grabbed my attention.
It wasn't that predictable.
It was something not found on visual media.
And the best part?
It came in sequels! (Plural!)
I ordered the next one right away.
I fell in love with the characters.
It felt like watching the first season of How I Met Your Mother, then the second, and third, and fourth!
And just when things couldn't get better, the author announces an 'all-grown-up' series.

*Phew* Gotta calm down a little.
I guess, for me, reading only comes when I find the 'right' book.
The book that connects, and resonates with me.
The one that I can easily relate to.
That will only be my early hypothesis.
Time to find more of these books and see if my hypothesis can be proven true.
But does my hypothesis only apply to myself? Do other people have a viable explanation for their bookworm-ish-ness?
P.S. You'll never guess which book I fell in love with!


Listening to I Apologise (Dear Simon) - Moss

Chilling Below The Wind,
TK

0 comments:

Post a Comment