Friday, September 5, 2014

roasted turkey and cranberry sauce

Like the title?
It's a style taken from a TV show I'm currently watching.
Please Like Me.
No, I mean THAT is the name of the show.
Didn't see that coming?
Yeah, I get that a lot.

Anyways.
If you've been "following" me on Facebook,
you would've known that
I've been admitted into the hospital a few days ago.
And since everyone's asking what's wrong with me,
I thought I'd might as well document my short stay
at Ward 62.

So all this began,
presumably,
on Monday.
What better way to start you Monday
than with unbearable abdominal pain?
As per planned,
I went on a trip up Winthrop Tower
and took some pretty cool photos.
What's NOT so cool is
them finishing 30 minutes late.
I didn't mind that at all,
because the tour guide was pretty interesting.
He knew a lot of stuff…
Like, the student who drowned in the Reflection Pool.
Or the guy who committed suicide by hopping off Winthrop Tower.
*Ahem*
Back to the story.
So, after the tour,
I had 30 minutes to walk from one end of the campus,
over to the other end for my lecture.
All while trying to grab some grub for lunch.
Of course,
nothing of such triviality would be able to stop me.
I got to my lecture on time.
AND had enough time to have a full lunch.
(Oh gosh.
I'm feeling so sick just thinking about saying the word
"FULL" with the word "LUNCH".)
So I had a lecture after my quick lunch.
And a 3-hour lab class after that.
I brought some Red Frogs lollies with me,
so I won't go hungry.
Ahhh, I love Red Frogs.
Unfortunately,
my tummy wasn't feeling so well during the lab.
Could be 'cause of the Red Frogs I've been having.
I minimised consumption.
But I can't stop eating.
They're so good, especially in a 3-hour lab.

So my tummy pain didn't go away,
even after the lab.
In fact,
I think it got worse because I didn't have some work to distract myself with.
I had a quiz to study for after that.
But I couldn't concentrate.
I ALSO couldn't stop eating Red Frogs.
So, I decided to call it quits for the night.
Head back home and get a good night's rest.
That would be the sensible thing to do, yes?

It would be sensible…
If I could just bloody fall asleep.
I fell in and out of sleep throughout the night.
And I was just gonna stay that way for the rest of the night.
But then,
I freaked out because I thought it really was
APPENDICITIS !?
Say it with me, people.
A-P-P-E-N-D-I-C-I-T-I-S.
So I went over to Mum and Dad's room,
and slept with them.
I fell asleep this time.
Hmmm…
Could be the weird kidney pills they gave me
before I passed out…
But at least the pain was almost gone by the time I woke up!

I was quite crossed with myself.
I had lots of things planned out for Tuesday.
I had a Facelab Experiment to participate in.
And PAL Study Group to be part of.
And soil samples to unpack.
But it's all ruined.
Thanks to my weak, pathetic appendix.
WHAT IS IT EVEN GOOD FOR !?
We went to see my GP.
Our GP told us to get an ultrasound scan.
We did that.
And got redirected to the Emergency Department of the hospital.
Wheeeee~
I didn't get to sit in the ambulance though,
because it's not "life-threatening enough".

The doctors didn't think of appendicitis as much of a threat too.
They were pretty lax about getting me admitted.
I swear,
I've described my problem to at least half a dozen different people that day.
After talking to random doctors and sitting around for 2 hours,
I finally got onto a bed.
But by the time THAT happened,
the pain in my abdomen had pretty much disappeared.
I'm cured!
But the doctors still think I'm sick.
I got placed in Ward #62 on the 6th floor,
together with Mr Ashworth (love his last name),
Mr Uebbing and Mr Menners.
Hmmm….
I do kinda feel sorry for the patients in the hospital.
They're all fairly old.
And it's sad to see them struggling in bed.
But one thing that cheered me up was how nice they were.
They were relatively optimistic,
especially when you look at how frail their body was.
So,
as I laid there,
I stared up at the ceiling…
Because that's all I could do.
Oh, and that's where the TV's located too.
Pretty cool, hey?
TV at the hospital.
That means I wouldn't miss my weekly dose of Please Like Me!

The surgical team had a look at me.
And they were gonna operate on me that night.
But I looked fine,
so they decided to "observe" me more
for the time being.
And when you're under "observation",
you can't eat/drink anything.
So what they meant was,
"Let's starve him more, and then see what happens."
So I went to bed that night.
Hungry.
I'd only had a couple of cold sandwiches.
That's all they had to offer.
I missed dinner.

I hope I hadn't forgotten to mention all the special considerations
I'd have to apply for.
I missed a lab session,
a tutorial and my quiz closed that night.
And although the hospital was well-equippied with a television
for each patient,
they still had a long way to go before
they'd get WiFi access.
The next morning,
I was the last to wake.
Because I'm such a pig.
And I love sleeping.
The surgical team had a look at me again.
And then they left.
Y'know, this is getting really annoying.
They were going to get me to go for another ultrasound scan.
But because I'm such a good patient.
They decided to (surprise surprise) delay it.
And not by a few hours,
as per hospital norm,
but by a few weeks.
They fed me lunch and I was free to go.
Lunch was insanely good though.
I must've been really hungry.
Roasted Turkey with Cranberry Sauce.
(I'd say the picture for this looks the best in this blog post)
Peach Crumble and Custard for dessert too!
Ahhhh, good times.
I hope the people in my ward end up well enough to leave too.
They were nice people.
Every time I pass by the hospital on my way home from uni,
I look at it.
And I don't feel like it's such an alien place anymore.


Listening to Ghost - Ella Henderson

Catching up with Uni,
TK

0 comments:

Post a Comment