Tuesday, February 18, 2014

flyingstart

Greetings Everyone.
It is I.
The owner of this blog.
The one who'll be typing more nonsense
on this virtual canvas.

I know I might've been gone for quite a while now.
But I have a perfectly good excuse.
Last week,
omgtheuniinvitedmetoapreorientationcamp
omgthatslikesofunandinsaneicantbelieveiactuallygotin
yaytheuniacknowledgesmeasdisadvantaged
andthebestpartisimmeetingsomeofmypeersevenbeforeorientation
ohifeelsoprivilegedandluckyandthebestpartwellevenbetterpart
wasthattheydletmestayovernightatoneofthecollegehalls
atanactualdormohivealwayswantedtostaythere !
And if you think that was all random gibberish.
It isn't.
Try reading it.

So yeah.
That's the reason why I was gone.
I got to attend UWA's Flying Start program.
Because apparently,
I'm 'disadvantaged'.
And I feel that it IS an honour to be…
disadvantaged.
Okay.
Maybe that isn't the best word to use in this situation but whatever.

Flying Start is a pre-orientation program/camp.
So you get to meet people (your peers) even before orientation.
I suppose it's designed to cater to those
who might not have many people from their school
coming to UWA.
(Oh yes. I'm attending UWA now. #prestige)
I think I qualify 'cause
they're less than 10 of us coming.
If memory serves and all.
So I went.
And I talked.
And I made a fair amount of friends.
Very happy with that.
I'm making good progress, aren't I ?
A group of friends before uni even starts.

Also,
it's been FOREVER since I joined a camp.
Well, PLKN doesn't count.
That was serious business.
It was a matter of life and death.
Heck.
I even had to shoot a few rounds just to make it out of there.
Back to Flying Start,
well,
it was, in a word, awesome.
They showered us with chocolates.
I have NEVER seen chocolates being given out so generously in my life.
And the student leaders were nice.
In fact,
the first person who talked to me was a student leader.
And I had to talk to everyone else.

It ran for 2 nights.
And because most people came from other towns and stuff,
the uni booked rooms for us
to stay in at the residential college.
After I read about that,
I told myself,
I JUST HAD TO GO.
NO MATTER WHAT !
I NEED THAT COLLEGE EXPERIENCE.
#desperate
We got the smallest rooms they had to offer,
BUT I DON'T CARE.
If I can't live at a college,
then this is as good as it'll ever get.
I made myself cozy.
BUT SOME OTHER STUDENTS WERE MAKING 
NOISES DOWN THE HALL AND I CAN'T SLEEP IN PEACE LIKE THAT.
GOSH I HAVE TO WAKE UP AT SIX THE NEXT MORNING.
PLEASE PEOPLE, HAVE SOME DECENCY!
Got a good night's sleep.
Surprisingly,
I didn't oversleep.
WOOHOO.
Oh and before I forget,
here's a photo of my room.
(Not really the best picture,
but I was just too excited.)
Not the fanciest of all dorms,
but I'm still extremely grateful
to have this opportunity.

Second day,
talked to more people.
And then everyone went home.
So yeah.
Business as usual.
Well, not exactly.
I know some of my peers now.
So that's great.
Uni's less daunting now.
Wow.
I must say.
The camp was super effective.
I'm not even whining about my endless list of insecurities anymore.

Oh and here's a picture of the view of Perth.
Taken from King's Park.
I know my photography skills are terrible.
But I was just bored.



Listening to Don't Stop Me Now - Queen


O-Week Time,
TK

0 comments:

Post a Comment